Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Conquering the sweater





I have this goal to knit a sweater each winter. It helps me get rid of a bunch of random wool I have in an epic suitcase of yarn as well as take up those long hours of winter darkness when I can’t work outside, I’m not eating meat and potatoes, and not sleeping. Lets face it, a farmers winter is a twisted version of that relaxing summer vacation everyone envisions, except with lots and lots of winter squash and for me, knitting (and spinning!). Last year I made that huge sweater (about 10 sizes too big) out of my first attempts at spinning which turned out in the shape of a weird wool dress. I felted it to shrink it and then it was a mini weird wool dress. It soon became a dog sweater. This year, 2 years in to my life goal, I succeeded! Though I dreamed of fancy cables and other stitches I stayed simple due to the frequently changing yarn color to use up old wool of relatively similar weight. I made a top down sweater (starting from the neckline) and it was incredibly easy. Seriously. Ever want to make a sweater? Do it. It is essentially a giant tube with two tubes sticking off it as arms. And when you put it on you will be in a warm, homemade tube of wool. Yum. Here is the pattern I used. Let me know if you want a better copy lemme know and I can send one along. 




No comments:

Post a Comment