Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring update

Part of the "Lost Sheep" name comes from the fact that over the course of 1 year, I follow the farming season to multiple locations. Mostly it's to a few different farms on the Maine coast, but now I am back in MA starting seeds. If my seeds were sheep, they would be lost too. This past week I planted my dye plants of choice for this coming season, dyers weld (which turns wool yellow) and indigo (the famous blue). Before I harvest these colors this summer and fall they will have crossed three state lines, growing in various locations like the heated floor of my parents kitchen, an alpaca farm where I will be farm sitting in April, and my bedroom and then garden in Bar Harbor where I will be spending the vegetable season. And here is a pic of them still sleeping!


Though I haven't been doing a lot of spinning since I left the cabin in Gouldsboro, I am gearing up for a trunk show here in my home town. I also finished the hand processing DIY wool zine that covers everything you could ever want to know and probably a lot of random stuff you don't care about in regards to working with wool! Yaaa! It covers choosing and finding a fleece, washing, carding, dyeing, spinning, and knitting. Here is the finished cover:


It is available on the etsy shop.

Fiber things happening this spring which are exciting and fantastic:
-trunk show!
-alpacasitting 50 alpacas!
-shearing school!
-fiber frolic!

Hold on to your knitted pants. There will be more blog posts.
Anywhooo spring time life is here and it is good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment